Day 1 Bucharest, Romania - Oltenita (Embarkation)
Welcome to Bucharest! By noon today check-in at Avalon’s meeting point for the transfer by motorcoach to Oltenita, where your river cruise vessel is docked. Before dinner, meet your crew at a welcome reception. (Dinner)
Day 2 Harsova. Excursion to Murfatlar
(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 3 St. Georghe, Danube Delta
Perhaps this morning you will wake up early to watch the sunrise over the Black Sea. Later, enjoy a small celebration to mark “Km 0.” From its source in the Black Forest, to its delta at the Black Sea, the Danube measures 2,845 kilometers in length. The Km markings can be clearly seen on the river banks the length of the river, and today it’s time to celebrate the end of the Danube’s journey, at “Km 0.” This afternoon, enjoy an excursion into the Delta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significanceand the best preserved of Europe’s deltas, hosting over 300 species of birds as well as 45 species of freshwater fish. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 4 Cernavoda . Excursion to Constanta
Cernavoda lies at the western end of the 40-mile-long Black Sea Canal, the pride and joy of communist achievement. From here, drive to Constanta, the most important commercial center in Romania, situated on the Black Sea. Enjoy a guided tour of this popular resort town and visit the NATURAL HISTORY & ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM. Late this afternoon, return to your ship. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 5 Svistov, Bulgaria. Excursion to Veliko Târnovo & Arbanassi
A comfortable ride from Svistov is the ancient Bulgarian capital of Veliko Târnovo. Situated on three hills surrounding the Yantra River, the city was a natural fortress with ancient stone houses clinging to the steep slopes. The oldest part is Tsarevets Hill, home of the Royal Fortress, palaces, and the PATRIARCH’S CHURCH. The historic village of Arbanassi is best known for its ETHNOGRAPHICAL MUSEUM and the outstanding collection of frescoes in the CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 6 Iron Gates
The Trajan Table marking the Roman conquest of Dacia and the Serbian fortresses of Golubac and Smederevo are impressive sights on the left bank of the Danube. The most spectacular scenery must surely be the dramatic gorge of the IRON GATES, a narrow and formerly very dangerous passage dividing Europe’s Alps in the northwest from the Carpathians in the southeast and forming a natural border between Serbia and Romania. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 7 Belgrade, Serbia
The capital of Serbia is situated at the confluence of the Danube and Sava Rivers. A local expert will be proud to show you its main sights, which include the city’s principal landmark, KALEMEGDAN FORTRESS; St. Sava, the world’s largest Orthodox church; and Marshal Tito’s tomb and monument. The city center has a lively pedestrian area and charming outdoor cafés. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 8 Osijek & Vukovar, Croatia
Today, learn more about the complex history of Croatia and the events that led to the Croatian War of Independence. Accompanied by local experts explore both Osijek, an important economic and cultural center, as well as Vukovar, Croatia’s largest river port located at the confluence of the Danube and Vuka Rivers. Vukovar was scene to an 87-day siege in 1991, known as the Battle of Vukovar. This and other dramatic events in the recent past have shaped both the present and the future of this region. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 9 Mohacs. Excursion to Villány Wine District
This morning, an excursion takes you into the Villány district, where some of Hungary’s best red wines are produced. Learn more about which varietals are grown, and why the climate and soil conditions here are ideal for the production of excellent wines. Relax on board this afternoon as you sail toward Budapest. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 10 Budapest
Spanning the banks of the Danube, Budapest is Eastern Europe’s liveliest and most cosmopolitan metropolis. Seven bridges, including the famous Chain and Elisabeth Bridges, connect ancient Buda on the right bank with Pest on the left. The massive hilltop castle complex with FISHERMEN’S BASTION and the Matthias Church is among the many sights your Local Guide will show you. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 11 Bratislava, Slovakia. (Disembarkation) – Vienna, Austria
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (Breakfast)
- CRUISE: 10-night cruise from Oltenita to Vienna in an outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- OLTENITA: Welcome reception
- HARSOVA: Excursion to Murfatlar
- DANUBE DELTA: Delta excursion
- CONSTANTA: Guided sightseeing, visit the Natural History and Archaeological Museum
- VELIKO TÂRNOVO: Guided sightseeing, visit the Patriarch’s Church
- ARBANASSI: Guided visit of the Ethnographical Museum and the Church of the Nativity
- IRON GATES: Cruise through the dramatic Iron Gates gorge; see the Trajan Table
- BELGRADE: Guided sightseeing, visit Kalemegdan Fortress
- OSIJEK: Guided sightseeing
- VUKOVAR: Guided sightseeing
- MOHÁCS: Wine tasting in Villány wine region
- BUDAPEST: Guided sightseeing, visit Fishermen’s Bastion
All This Included
A deluxe Danube River cruise from the Danube Delta to Vienna is the highlight on this fascinating getaway through Eastern Europe. Explore the Danube Delta with its unique birdlife, celebrate the end of the Danube’s journey as it flows into the Black Sea and sail through the dramatic Iron Gates gorge. See the sights with a Local Guide in Constanta, Bulgaria’s Arbanassi and Veliko Târnovo, Serbia’s Belgrade, Croatia’s Vukovar and Osijek, and the Hungarian capital of Budapest. Your adventure concludes in Vienna.
- Included shore excursions with Local Guide.
- Headsets for shore excursions.
- Daily early- and late-riser breakfast.
- Full buffet breakfast with sparkling wine.
- Complimentary juices with breakfast.
- Complimentary soft drinks with lunch.
- Complimentary regional wines at dinner.
- Free soft drinks or beer with dinner.
- English-speaking crew.
Accommodations on this Tour
Outside cabin onboard the Avalon Imagery or Avalon Tranquility
- Cabin upgrades are available.
- In the event of water level problems or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change is necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
- Port charges: $180.
- Please ask your Vacations To Go travel counselor for more information.
Terms and Conditions
The prices shown are U.S. dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. Prices quoted for land/cruise arrangements are subject to increase without notice. Once we have received your deposit, land/cruise prices are guaranteed. Air prices quoted via phone or email are subject to increase and are guaranteed only from the time that full payment is received. Also, air prices or air promotions mentioned on this site or on the phone do not include baggage fees imposed by airlines. Sorry, we are unable to offer air from countries other than the U.S. However, for those international customers who are able to arrange their own transportation to the trip origination city, we are able to offer the land/cruise portion of the package, at the price quoted.