Day 1 Arrive in Frankfurt, Germany (Embarkation)
Flights must arrive before 3:30 pm. Welcome to Frankfurt! Situated on the Main River, Frankfurt is a truly cosmopolitan city and the commercial capital of Germany. This afternoon, board your river cruise vessel and meet your crew at a welcome reception. (Dinner)
Day 2 Miltenberg–Wertheim
Miltenberg is a picturesque Bavarian village that thrived on income from river traffic. Its cultural wealth and affluence are reflected in the beautiful medieval and renaissance houses and the gothic splendor of the Merchant Hall shown to you during your guided walk. The town center is within walking distance of the ship, as is the Christmas market. After lunch, learn how to bake a local SOFT COOKIE specialty. In the afternoon, there’s free time in Wertheim, whose overlapping half-timbered houses are grouped along winding streets. Glassblowers have a long tradition in this town and, especially in winter time, they produce decorations that hang on Christmas trees all over the world. Marvel at the tasteful Christmas decorations in the shop windows and stroll through the charming Christmas market. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 3 Würzburg
Known as the “Pearl of the Romantic Road,” Würzburg is surrounded by sloping hills covered with vineyards. The magnificent BISHOP’S RESIDENZ is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significanceThis afternoon is free to explore more of the city and wander through the beautifully decorated wooden booths of the Christmas market, at your own pace. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 4 Bamberg
Another beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significanceis medieval Bamberg. Your walking tour takes in its breathtaking cathedral, the Old Town Hall straddling the River Regnitz, and serpentine streets with charming houses and 18th-century mansions. At this time of year the town is decked out for Christmas and especially interesting are the many nativity scenes built by local citizens and exhibited throughout the town. Today we will introduce you to some of Germany’s FAMOUS BEERS! (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 5 Nuremberg
Although Nuremberg suffered extensive damage during WWII, much of it was restored to its original style. Marvel at this historic city with its fabulous gothic churches and elegant patrician houses. Nuremberg hosts Germany’s most famous Christmas market, which dates back to 1628 and is opened each year by the Christkindl. The Old Town is illuminated with festive lights and decorations. The city’s traditions include famous Lebkuchen, toy making, and metal working. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 6 Nuremberg (Disembarkation)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (Breakfast)
- CRUISE: 5-night cruise from Frankfurt to Nuremberg in an outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- FRANKFURT: Welcome reception
- MILTENBERG: Guided walk; baking demonstration
- WÜRZBURG: Guided sightseeing, visit the Bishop’s Residenz
- BAMBERG: Guided sightseeing, see the Old Town Hall; beer tasting
- NUREMBERG: Guided sightseeing
All This Included
Experience the holiday season on this festive river cruise vacation from Frankfurt to Nuremberg. Enjoy guided city sightseeing in Miltenberg, Würzburg, Bamberg and Nuremberg. Explore the marvelous Christmas markets in each city, including Germany’s most famous Christmas market in Nuremberg. At the markets, your senses are sure to be delighted—with the taste of hot mulled wine, the brilliant colors of the Christmas ornaments, the sounds of holiday cheer, and the smells of local specialties. Attend a traditional baking demonstration in the pretty Bavarian village of Miltenberg, visit Würzburg’s magnificent Bishop’s Residenz, see Bamberg’s Old Town Hall and sample some of Germany’s famous beers.This is a magnificent way to start your holiday season.
- Included shore excursions with Local Guide.
- Headsets for shore excursions.
- Premium coffees, cappuccinos and lattes.
- A lounge serving premium spirit cocktails.
- Daily early- and late-riser breakfast.
- Full buffet breakfast with sparkling wine.
- Complimentary juices with breakfast.
- Complimentary soft drinks with lunch.
- Chef-inspired regional recipes.
- Complimentary regional wines at dinner.
- Free soft drinks or beer with dinner.
- English-speaking crew.
Accommodations on this Tour
Outside cabin onboard the Avalon Vista
- Cabin upgrades are available.
- In the event of water level problems or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
- Christmas markets operate from late November until the third week of December, depending on the location.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change becomes necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Port charges: $90.
- Please ask your Vacations To Go travel counselor for more information.
Terms and Conditions
The prices shown are U.S. dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. Prices quoted for land/cruise arrangements are subject to increase without notice. Once we have received your deposit, land/cruise prices are guaranteed. Air prices quoted via phone or email are subject to increase and are guaranteed only from the time that full payment is received. Also, air prices or air promotions mentioned on this site or on the phone do not include baggage fees imposed by airlines. Sorry, we are unable to offer air from countries other than the U.S. However, for those international customers who are able to arrange their own transportation to the trip origination city, we are able to offer the land/cruise portion of the package, at the price quoted.