Day 1 Arrive in Prague, Czech Republic
Welcome to Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. The city straddles the Vltava River with domes, cupolas, spires and pinnacles highlighting its skyline.
Day 2 Prague
Prague is a 1,000-year-old city preserved in time. See its best-known treasures such as the Old Town’s Astronomical Clock, once the envy of all of Europe; HRADCANY CASTLE GROUNDS, St. Vitus Cathedral, and the Charles Bridge. Browse the shops for hand-cut crystal or art books, and stroll through the Christmas markets. Rows of brightly decorated wooden huts sell Christmas tree ornaments, wooden toys, and Czech handicrafts. Get a little inner warmth with a cup of svarené víno (hot mulled wine) and a traditional hot sausage from one of the stalls. The beautifully decorated tree in the Old Town is an impressive sight. Christmas is the most important family holiday of the year in most Eastern European countries, and the Czechs begin their preparations and celebrations on December 4 with the Feast of St. Barbara. (Breakfast)
Day 3 Prague–Nuremberg, Germany (Embarkation)
After lunch, drive to Nuremberg, where your river cruise vessel is docked. Before dinner, meet your crew at a welcome reception. (Breakfast, Dinner)
Day 4 Nuremberg
Although Nuremberg suffered extensive damage during WWII, much of it was restored to its original style. Marvel at this historic city with its fabulous gothic churches and elegant patrician houses. Nuremberg hosts Germany’s most famous Christmas market, which dates back to 1628; the Old Town is illuminated with festive lights and decorations. The city’s traditions include famous Lebkuchen, toy making, and metal working. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 5 Bamberg
Medieval Bamberg is a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site. The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significanceYour walking tour takes in its breathtaking cathedral, the Old Town Hall straddling the Regnitz River, and serpentine streets with charming houses and 18th-century mansions. At this time of year the town is decked out for Christmas. Especially interesting are the many nativity scenes that are built by local citizens and exhibited throughout the town. Today we’ll introduce you to some of Germany’s FAMOUS BEERS! (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 6 Würzburg
Known as the “Pearl of the Romantic Road,” Würzburg is surrounded by sloping hills covered with vineyards. The magnificent BISHOP’S RESIDENZ is another UNESCO World Heritage Site. The World Heritage List includes over 800 properties with cultural and/or natural heritage of global significanceThis afternoon is free to explore more of the city and wander through the beautifully decorated wooden booths of the Christmas market, at your own pace. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 7 Wertheim–Miltenberg
This morning, stop in Wertheim, whose overlapping half-timbered houses are grouped along winding streets. Glassblowers have a long tradition in this town and, especially in winter, they produce ornaments that hang on Christmas trees all over the world. Marvel at the tasteful Christmas decorations in the shop windows and stroll through the charming Christmas market. In Miltenberg, you’ll discover a picturesque Bavarian village that thrived on income from river traffic. Its cultural wealth and affluence are reflected in the beautiful medieval and renaissance homes and the gothic splendor of the Merchant Hall shown to you during your guided walk. The town center is within walking distance of the ship, as is the Christmas market. Before lunch, learn how to bake a local SOFT COOKIE specialty. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 8 Frankfurt (Disembarkation)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. Departure flights should not leave before 8:30 am. (Breakfast)
- CRUISE: 5-night cruise from Nuremberg to Frankfurt in outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- PRAGUE: Guided sightseeing, see the Astronomical Clock and visit Hradcany Castle grounds
- NUREMBERG: Welcome reception; guided sightseeing
- BAMBERG: Guided sightseeing, see the Old Town Hall; beer tasting
- WÜRZBURG: Guided sightseeing, visit the Bishop’s Residenz
- MILTENBERG: Guided walk; baking demonstration
All This Included
Experience the holiday season on this festive river cruise vacation from Prague to Frankfurt. Your vacation begins in 1,000-year-old Prague with guided sightseeing that shows off the city’s best-known treasures and time to explore the impressive Old Town Christmas market. Also enjoy guided city sightseeing in Nuremberg, Bamberg, Würzburg, and the charming Bavarian village of Miltenberg. Other highlights: a beer tasting in Bamberg, a visit to Würzburg’s Bishop’s Residenz, , and a traditional baking demonstration in the pretty Bavarian village of Miltenberg. What a fantastic way to start your holiday season.
- Included shore excursions with Local Guide.
- Headsets for shore excursions.
- Premium coffees, cappuccinos and lattes.
- Coffee self-serve beverage station.
- A lounge serving premium spirit cocktails.
- Daily early- and late-riser breakfast.
- Full buffet breakfast with sparkling wine.
- Complimentary juices with breakfast.
- Complimentary soft drinks with lunch.
- Chef-inspired regional recipes.
- Complimentary regional wines at dinner.
- Free soft drinks or beer with dinner.
- English-speaking crew.
- Non-smoking interior.
Accommodations on this Tour
Prague: Hilton, or similar
Cruising: outside cabin onboard the Avalon Vista
- Cabin upgrades are available.
- Christmas markets operate from late November until the third week of December, depending on location (Prague markets are open from early December until the first days of January).
- In the event of water level problems on stretches of any river, or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate part of the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change becomes necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Port charges: $90.
- Please ask your Vacations To Go travel counselor for more information.
Terms and Conditions
The prices shown are U.S. dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. Prices quoted for land/cruise arrangements are subject to increase without notice. Once we have received your deposit, land/cruise prices are guaranteed. Air prices quoted via phone or email are subject to increase and are guaranteed only from the time that full payment is received. Also, air prices or air promotions mentioned on this site or on the phone do not include baggage fees imposed by airlines. Sorry, we are unable to offer air from countries other than the U.S. However, for those international customers who are able to arrange their own transportation to the trip origination city, we are able to offer the land/cruise portion of the package, at the price quoted.