Day 1 Arrive in Vienna, Austria (Embarkation)
Welcome to Vienna, Austria’s romantic capital! This afternoon, board your river cruise vessel and meet your crew at a welcome reception. (Dinner)
Day 2 Vienna
Once the center of the mighty Habsburg Empire, Austria’s capital has much to offer: the lavish Hofburg Palace, the impressive Vienna Opera House, majestic Ring Boulevard, and awe-inspiring St. Stephen’s Cathedral, to name just a few of the sights you will enjoy on your city tour. You do not rush through Vienna—you waltz, taking your time to savor each classic sight and sound. Shop in the Kärntnerstrasse and enjoy Sachertorte or Apfelstrudel in a neighborhood café. Soak up the atmosphere of the Adventszeit (Advent season) and spend some time in the beautiful Christmas markets located throughout the city. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 3 Dürnstein–Melk
This morning, enjoy a guided walk around Dürnstein, known for the magnificent baroque Stiftskirche with its blue façade. After lunch, visit the glorious BENEDICTINE ABBEY, which dominates the town of Melk from its commanding hill site and is one of Europe’s largest monasteries. The view from the terrace over the Danube and surrounding countryside is breathtaking! This evening you’ll sample some of the FAMOUS WINES of the region. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 4 Linz–Passau, Germany
Linz, Austria’s third-largest town, lies on both banks of the Danube and is an important industrial town and busy river port. An optional full-day excursion to Salzburg takes in the popular Sound of Music sights as well as more Christmas cheer—the traditional carols, the sparkling lights, and the smell of candles and gingerbread. Passau, ideally located at the confluence of the Inn, Ilz, and Danube Rivers, is a city of graceful arcades and cobblestone streets. St. Stephen’s Cathedral houses one of the world’s largest organs with more than 17,000 pipes. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 5 Regensburg
Regensburg is one of Germany’s best preserved medieval cities. Architectural highlights on your guided tour include the Old Town Hall and the Porta Pretoria–gates to an ancient Roman fort built in 179 AD. The city is the capital of Upper Palatinate, a bustling university town, and one of Bavaria’s cultural centers. The Christmas market is located on the historic market square. Germany is famous for its sausages, and Regensburg is home to the country’s oldest restaurant—Historische Wurstküche (the Old Sausage Kitchen), dating back to the 12th century. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 6 Nuremberg
Although Nuremberg suffered extensive damage during WWII, much of it was restored to its original style. Marvel at this historic city with its fabulous gothic churches and elegant patrician houses, all explained by a local expert. Nuremberg hosts Germany’s most famous Christmas market, which dates back to 1628; the Old Town is illuminated with festive lights and decorations. The city’s traditions include famous Lebkuchen, toy making, and metal working. This evening we’ll introduce you to some of Germany’s FAMOUS BEERS. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Day 7 Nuremberg (Disembarkation)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (Breakfast)
- CRUISE: 6-night cruise from Vienna to Nuremberg in an outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- VIENNA: Welcome reception; guided sightseeing
- DÜRNSTEIN: Walking tour, see the Stiftskirche
- MELK: Guided visit of the Benedictine Abbey; wine tasting \
- PASSAU: Guided walk
- REGENSBURG: Walking tour
- NUREMBERG: Guided sightseeing; beer tasting
All This Included
Enjoy the festive atmospheres from Vienna to Nuremberg and all along the legendary Danube on this enchanting river cruise vacation. Enjoy guided sightseeing in each city and delight in the sights, smells, and tastes of centuries-old Christmas markets in Vienna, Regensburg and Nuremberg. Be sure to sample the Glühwein, Lebkuchen, and other traditional holiday specialties! Other highlights include a guided visit of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk and beer tasting in Nuremberg.
- Included shore excursions with Local Guide.
- Headsets for shore excursions.
- Coffee self-serve beverage station.
- Daily early- and late-riser breakfast.
- Full buffet breakfast with sparkling wine.
- Complimentary juices with breakfast.
- Complimentary soft drinks with lunch.
- Four-course dinners with open seating.
- Complimentary regional wines at dinner.
- Free soft drinks or beer with dinner.
- English-speaking crew.
Accommodations on this Tour
Outside cabin onboard the Avalon Vista
- Cabin upgrades are available.
- Christmas markets operate from late November until the third week of December, depending on location
- In the event of water level problems on stretches of any river, or any problems of a technical nature, it may be necessary to operate part of the itinerary by motorcoach or to alter the program.
- Included visits and special features are subject to change. If a change becomes necessary, a substitute will be offered.
- Port charges: $108.
- Please ask your Vacations To Go travel counselor for more information.
Terms and Conditions
The prices shown are U.S. dollars per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability. Prices quoted for land/cruise arrangements are subject to increase without notice. Once we have received your deposit, land/cruise prices are guaranteed. Air prices quoted via phone or email are subject to increase and are guaranteed only from the time that full payment is received. Also, air prices or air promotions mentioned on this site or on the phone do not include baggage fees imposed by airlines. Sorry, we are unable to offer air from countries other than the U.S. However, for those international customers who are able to arrange their own transportation to the trip origination city, we are able to offer the land/cruise portion of the package, at the price quoted.